Monday, July 17, 2006

New Series: Adopt a UN Resolution

On the menu of most news outlets, cynicism seems to be the "day's special" during this season of war on Gaza and Lebanon. Israeli and US cynicism, in particular, is served in think slices, king-size chunks, and generous heaps. Just watch the Israeli Ambassador to the UN when he mentions UN Security Council Resolution 1559, or listen to George Bush Junior as he, among all people, talks about the need to comply with that famous Resolution.

Since we are on the subject of UN resolutions, why stop at 1559? Why not go back to 242? 338? 476? Why not examine UN General Assembly resolutions which, although non-binding, clarify the legal framework of the conflict? After all, it was a UN General Assembly resolution that gave Israel its international legitimacy.

If I were a UN resolution on the Middle East, I would really feel abandoned, out in the cold, and in search of somebody to mention me and to love me.
If I were a UN resolution on the Middle East, I would need to be understood.
If I were a UN resolution on the Middle East, I would need to be listened to.
If I were a UN resolution on the Middle East,
I would need a hug!

That is why Gottfried Stutz is launching a series of posts entitled "Adopt a UN Resolution".

3 comments:

x said...

nicely written.
It's funny because this is the only resolution where I can associate the number with what the resolution constitutes.

Plus, don't forget all the resolutions that would have passed had it not been for a US veto...

JiimSiin جيم سين said...

Yes, right Omar. There are many which were blocked by a US veto, but even if you don't take them into account, there is enough matter to demonstrate to which extent Israel is an outlaw and, sadly, the Arab representatives in the UN, along with their governments, have little or no knowledge of International Law.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are starting a series on the UN resolutions. They have everything to do with what is happening today.